lundi 11 avril 2011

Dans le jus!


Since I moved to London my life has become crazy. Always running to catch a train, going out to meet up with friends, working etc. In short extremely busy. So…

“je suis dans le jus!!!!!!”

It basically means: to be in trouble, to be overloaded or to be unable to cope with your work. But strangely enough “avoir du jus” means to have a lot of energy. Interesting, isn’t it?

We also have to keep in mind that “jus“aka “juice”, is what you get when you squeeze fruit! Duhhhhh (Tell me something I don’t know, right!) but that also echoes to the other French expression “être pressé” (to be in a hurry).

In the restaurant business -I can relate to this since I used to be a waiter when I was a student- you will hear that saying a lot. So it won’t be surprising to see a cook who has a bunch of plates waiting to be picked up, comes out of the kitchen to yell:

"Magnez-vous le cul les serveurs ou vous allez être dans le jus" (Waiters, move your asses or you’re gonna be swamped!)

In slang, “jus” also means electricity (like "juice" in a battery), so in French “courant”. So sometimes instead of saying “tiens-moi au courant” (keep in touch) you can also say …

“tiens-moi au jus!”

Donc tout le monde est au jus maintenant?

2 commentaires: