mercredi 2 mars 2011

Let me introduce myself!


I've always been interested in the English language. One of my main goals back when I was an English language learner was to become as fluent as I could be. I also wanted to lower my French accent and sound good. I was obsessed and still am to a lesser extent with English and I am always trying new ways to improve. When I was starting to learn the language I was interested in everything, I was really passionate about it and eager to learn new words, expressions and whatnot. But I was more interested in the daily English, I mean I was into the English that people actually speak more than the language that you can learn in books. Don't get me wrong, I love books!!!!! But I was really interested in cultural expressions that English people use and I was not into the ones that you can learn through the dictionary! In fact I used to live in the US and when I lived there I learned plenty of expressions that you can't find in a dictionary, such as : " going cold turkey, you stole my thunder, that really hit the spot, etc."
And then I got the idea that I should reciprocate in a way, and give away some expressions which are cultural. (And by cultural, I mean from France, since I don't know the expressions used in the other French-speaking countries :)
So that's pretty much what my blog is about, nothing major or fancy.
Just a useful and interesting journey in the world of expressions and slang that French people use!!!
Alors! C'est parti mon kiki!!!

3 commentaires:

  1. Aww mate, you remind me a lot of myself!
    When I started learning french, I was just like how you described yourself, so enthusiast and amazed...I was so passionated with learning french as you do with english!

    It was so difficult thought, not just cos the language itself it's complex, but also cos I'm a self-taught learner, cos I love the language but I haven't had the opportunity of taking classes yet.
    And when you go on the internet to learn and realize there are a lot of myths and misinformation about french language, and the tolls and mean people who make nasty jokes to confuse people who try to learn...you get frustrated and hurt in the soul...

    When I started learning french I was like you, I also wasn't interested by the language of "house-aple-book"...but I was so excited to learn the french that french people usually talk everyday, and specially, I was fascinated by french lingo! Cos personally I've always believed that french slang it's one of the most amazing, fun and varied one, even more than english one! More than any other language's one...well maybe it's more or less at the same level than spanish from Mexico's lingo :)

    At the first months of my time learning, was so frustrated cos people where I live didn't cared of it, nobody cared if I learned french or not...and to make things worse; when I wanted to look for french slang, all what I found was people teaching people to tell swear words or articles with bad taste jokes about the french culture and language! And when I saw that I felt sad, I felt mad I felt....I felt so tiny and insignificant...I felt like everybody and everything was against me and all my effort was going to be worthless at the end!...and there were days, when I wanted to pull off all my hair and say "I give up I cannot learn french! I was silly to believe I could..."

    Funny enough, it was the day I found the most bad taste jokes and I was feeling awful, when I found this blog...and I felt saved! :') Heheheh I still remember that day, oh my! I was feeling in esctasy!
    The first entry I saw was "je suis dans la galère", and when I read it I fell in love with the expression, and specially and mostly, I felt absolutely amazed and fascinated with your way to explain things here! Cos you actually explain why the expressions, and your way to talk about them is clear, precise, so easy to understand, and also so amusing to read! And I felt like it was a sign, that all my effort looking for info about french slang was worth, that I worth! That I could do learn french and I should continue! :D That God have given a chance!

    Finding this blog...it was like finding an oasis after months traveling though a hard and cruel desert! It was truly amazing, I can't explain *chuckles*...but it was! And since then, I always come here when I feel like everything in my life comes out bad, and I feel happy to remember that somewhere out there, there's someone who enjoys and is willing to share a bit of french lingo with me! ^^ and of course other people who want to learn *chuckles*

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. So I just want you to know that your blog saved me from giving up on learning french, form feeling useful and obsolete! Right now I have a year and a half since I first decided to start learning french, and I'm so happy about that cos I'm doing well I think, and in great part...I feel it's thanks to you! So I truly thank you for this!
    I would like to congratulate you for the blog cos it's truly amazing and useful, you're giving a truly valuable thing to the humanity with this!
    It's the first and only place where I've been able to find where someone really cares about sharing french lingo!
    So I really hope you keep sharing french lingo here in the future.
    Oh and yes, now I can write french, but I write this message in English cos I know how much you like it :)

    Oh and by the way, I would love to read you explain the expression you say here "c'est parti mon kiki" :D
    I've read people saying what they think it means in a forum...but I don't really trust on them, cos they are foreign people and they might be joking (as people usually do) I trust a lot more on you :)

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. Aw man, now that's a compliment right there!!! :)

    RépondreSupprimer