mercredi 2 mars 2011

How a TV commercial enters popular culture


I remember when I was in high school, there was a commercial that aired all the time on TV!
It was about a chocolate bar. In the ad you can see a little quaint scene with mountains in the background. And then you can also see inside a lovely chalet a groundhog wrapping a chocolate bar in aluminum foil.
People started to love the commercial. And young people started to use the expression that the man says at the end of the video:

"Et la marmotte, elle met le chocolat dans le papier d'alu!"


Now this expression is still in use in France! When someone uses it, he actually means that he doesn't believe you. You are basically talking nonsense or not telling the truth. This expression is commonly used among young people and as far as I know it's culturally specific to France.
For instance I used it once when I was talking to two friends of mine, one of them was French and the other one French Canadian! The second one had no idea whatsoever what I was referring to, but the first one got it straight away :)

For instance that blog refers to this expression.

http://agen-demain.typepad.fr/alain_veyret/retraites-jean-dionis-main-dans-la-main-avec-lump.html


1 commentaire:

  1. Oh my hehe! This is amazing man!
    Thanks for sharing this curious expression, if it wasn't for you I wouldn't have known it!
    It's very interesting how a commercial can reach so much the popular culture sometimes. This have happened where I live too.

    RépondreSupprimer